Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hope for Haiti

The past few days have been incredible. I love Haiti. I love the people. I love the language. I love the food (except for the goat served two nights ago which I couldn't believe I tried but fortunately didn't like.. don't be mad Billy and Almon). I love the spirit. I love the culture.

Yesterday we painted all morning and then headed to another town for the afternoon. Repatriote is the city that we went to. The people there were greatly impacted by the earthquake. A church that branches off the church that we stay at was just demolished. I was shocked. I have pictures I will post later. The people there said since they are a town out of the middle of no where, they feel like everyone has just forgotten about them. We took about fifty jugs of water that we had used and passed it out the to people there who are living in tents. The huge smiles of gratitude blessed my spirit as I gave something as simple as water. People came from all over to receive. It was really cool because when we ran out of water, the people weren't greedy or anything. We just hung out for a bit and loved on them and prayed with them.
Matthew 10:42, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward." This reward is here. It is the fulfillment I find in Jesus. It is the hope that one day I will be singing "Holy Holy Holy" in Heaven with these people.

The rest of the afternoon consisted of a tap tap ride through the city. I wish there were a way to explain the destruction to you. I feel like Cooper Anderson didn't give you justice by video and I certainly can't by blog. Buildings are just pancaked to the ground. Six or seven stories worth just came straight down flat. It is crazy. No one has even gone into these buildings since because it's so dangerous. Every corner you turn and there's mass destruction. Pray for these people. One thing is this, these people have hope. Haiti is not dark. I thought this place would be dark full of witch craft and weird things. Yet, this place is beautiful. I had such a misconception. Even in the midst of horror, these people are back to life. That's incredible.

Today, the Lord has really answered our team prayer for the Holy Spirit to move. We went to the clinic today and prayed over anyone who came forward. So many hurting people here. Many came forward for prayer due to the fear they have and anxiety they face since the earthquake. One young man came forward and told us he had been hearing voices telling him to do such horrible things. We told him that when Jesus lives in your heart, he silences these voices. He asked to receive Jesus and we prayed over him. It was so powerful to be a part of it. Yall, he was really and truly receiving salvation for the first time. (All these prayers via translator). Another woman came forward with her precious 7 year old child who the Lord just broke me for. We prayed and prayed. ALL morning long. One thing I read this morning before the day began was, Acts 316: "It is Jesus' name and the faith that comes thru him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see." We prayed for healing in Jesus' name. He is moving and is so powerful. Later in this chapter in verse 26 it says, "When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

May that be an encouragement to all of us believers. He first and foremost came to heal our spiritual sickness. He came to turn us from an eternity of damnation and Hell. He came to not only wipe our sins away so we can enjoy Heaven and his promises, but JESUS CHRIST rose from the dead so that we can have an open means of communication with our Father in Heaven. So that we can even pray to Him for anything. The great divide is now fulfilled that we can ask and receive, praise and glory, and hear and see. Praise and Glory to Jesus for all these things.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

OOOPS I meant Anderson Cooper **