Thursday, July 10, 2008

HOLY "it's like pulling teeth"

okay so don't let the title throw you off...
I love my class and all my students. However, because of the language barrier, it is like pulling teeth to get them to communicate! There is no translator or anything in my class with me-just me and them! Today we started off rotating into other classes for a game. Then, for curriculum we studied Germany. I felt that my students were reading well but they aren't understanding what they are reading. So, I decided to improvise. I made a cardboard moustache, got a whistle, made a sign that said "Short people only! No Glasses! I will Kill." These were the student who was Hitler in our discussion, his costume props. Everytime the book said his name, He would blow the whistle, say "Short people only! No Glasses! I will Kill," and the class would salute and say AH Hitler. In the book it talks about Albert Einstein having to leave Germany because he was a Jew. So, Alber Einstein was a student named "Elliot" who is very tall, wears glasses, and is actually very intelligent. His costume was a sign around his neck that said "Quantum Physics" and a notebook and pencil. When his name was read in the book, he put his finger in the air like a smart scientist and the class would say.. ohhh. When I read the word GERMANY, the class would all stand. So.. it was fun and I think it was a great way to explain Hitler and his discrimination. Once I again, I just ran out of time. Be back.